About the Venture Capital / Private Equity Game
In the Venture Capital and Private Equity Simulation, you and your team play the role of a Venture Capital or Private Equity Firm, in which you raise funds, search for companies to invest in, complete deals, and manage a portfolio of companies across six simulated years.
Each year of play is divided into two phases. During Phase 1 of each year, your firm may search for new companies and propose term sheets for potential investments. When the simulation opens in Phase 2, if a company has selected your firm as the Lead Investor, you have the opportunity to finalize an investment on that company. Alternatively, your firm may be chosen as a potential Fill Investor. The Lead Investor decides in Phase 2 which other firms to offer the opportunity to be a part of the deal.
The basics of the game
- You will be playing in teams of 2 — 3 in the role of a PE or VC firm.
- Teams research and syndicate to propose deal terms on a universe of thousands of simulated companies.
- The game awards deals based on team variables and market variables.
- Companies evolve over time.
- Decide on a strategy and stage focus with your team.
- Execute your strategy by proposing deals to invest individually, as a syndicate, or in a Lead/Fill relationship.
- Manage your existing portfolio. Decide when to exit, when to refinance, and when to stop throwing good money after bad.
- Most importantly… make money for your Limited Partners! (And yourselves)
Compete in teams of 2 to 3 for a chance to win $1,000 per player!
Contest Has Been Temporarily Postponed
Official Contest RulesBY ENTERING, ENTRANT AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND THE DECISIONS OF THE SPONSOR, WHICH SHALL BE FINAL IN ALL RESPECTS.
- ENTRY: No purchase necessary to enter or win. Contestants will enter by filling out an entry form.
- ELIGIBILITY: This contest is open only to legal U.S. residents, over the age of 18. Employees of Forio Corporation (along with its contractors, affiliates and subsidiaries) and their families are not eligible. Current and former students of Harvard Business School (HBS) are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. Contestants residing in those areas where the contest is void may participate in the contest but may not win prizes.
- WINNER SELECTION: There will be a maximum of one team with three team members winning at the end of the contest. Employees of Forio will judge the contest. Should there be a tie between teams, the winning team will be chosen at the discretion of Forio employees. All decisions of the judges are final.
- PRIZES: Winning team members will receive $1000 per team member, pre-tax, for a maximum of $3000 for the winning team. Winning team members will be responsible for taxes.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION: Winners will be notified within 14 days after the determination date. Inability to contact a winner may result in disqualification.
- USE OF CONTEST INFORMATION: All entries become the property of Forio. Forio reserves the right to use any and all information related to the contest, including simulation decisions provided by the contestants, for editorial, marketing and any other purpose, unless prohibited by law.
- NOT SPONSORED BY HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL: By participating in this contest, you acknowledge that this contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Harvard Business School and release Harvard Business School from any and all liability arising from or related to this contest. The information you are providing for this contest is being provided to Forio and not to Harvard Business School, and will be used to notify you if you have won, and to verify that you have met contest requirements.
- CONDUCT: All contest participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Forio in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person it finds to be tampering with the simulation, the operation of its web site or is otherwise in violation of these rules.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Forio is not responsible for late, lost or misdirected decisions or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. If for any reason, the contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention or technical failures of any sort, Forio may cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. Entrants further agree to release Forio from any liability resulting from, or related to participation in the contest.
- BETA SOFTWARE: Please note that this is a beta version of the Venture Capital Private Equity Game. The software and all content found on it are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis. Forio, Harvard Business Publishing, and Harvard Business School do not give any warranties, whether express or implied, as to the suitability or usability of the software or any of its content. Forio, Harvard Business Publishing, and Harvard Business School will not be liable for any loss, whether such loss is direct, indirect, special or consequential, suffered by any party as a result of their use of the Venture Capital Private Equity Game or content.